Thursday, September 24, 2009

Off to England






So I've been away from the Internet of late due to a lot of work and not a lot of time...
My sister, Caroline, came to see me a couple of weeks ago now. It was really lovely to have her here and show her a few of the sights of Taipei...we didn't get to see that many but we saw a few and I think she had a good time. Sarah and I did so I am guessing it couldn't have all been bad for her. She slept in Sarah's room, which has no air-con at all ...so she was hot at night, I did tell her she can come and sleep on the floor in my room (on a mattress) but she didn't want to. I couldn't really give her my bed as Sarah sleeps in it and I can tell you no-one wants to try to sleep next to her...she's a wiggling nightmare to sleep with and I will be super glad when the weather is cool enough that she can go back to her own bedroom!
Pictures below are of Caroline and I when we went out and about..i don't have many as she used my camera to take photo's on her memory stick..until it ran out of space. Ok so you might ask why I didn't down load it before she left...well that would require that I thought things threw and I often don't and often forget things.
So many cool things have happened since I last wrote I am not sure where to begin. Sarah's talking why more and she's improved a lot. I'm really please as this means that maybe my parents will be able to understand what she is saying (well the English at any rate!)
We have our tickets to go home, we will fly out of Taipei next Wednesday! So soon, so excited. Yet I have had sleepless nights worrying about all the things that I need to take back with me (gifts), and all the stuff I need to prepare for the subs that will teach my classes when I am way. I've also been fretting a lot about the plane journey and what on earth I will do with Sarah for the well 24 hrs that we will be traveling for...agghhh. She can't even sit still to watch one episode of Dora!! I have brought lots of presents for her that I will wrap up and give her every hour, this is what my sister does and my mate Heather. But seriously what on Earth do you do with a slightly hyperactive 2.5 year old on such a long flight??? any ideas?
Also I am worried as I have chronic joint pain that gets much worst if I am sat down for a long period of time.. and getting up every so often on a plane doesn't cut it. So I know full way I will not be able to walk very well at all when I go to get off the plane, so how do I then carry my possible half asleep child off the plane along with all the things I am taking to entertain her for the journey?? Before I used a wheelchair and had assistance getting on and off the plane, but then I was much worst than I am now, i'd use the wheelchair to go to the super market or anywhere that involved walking a lot. Since being in Taiwan and having Sarah my joints are 100X better than they were so I feel like a bit of a fraud asking for assistance now. Do you know what I mean? So what do I do, struggle to walk and make the transfer time or get assistance? And I don't think Sarah will go to anyone else bar me so she will want me to carry her...nightmare. I went to the movies the other night with Tom (first time since having Sarah without taking her), so at the end I go to get up and I am in so much more pain that I have to walk out of there like a limping robot that needs their joints oiled...so I can image after the flight...
Good thing is that my folks will meet us at the airport so we don't have to get a train or a coach home...which would be well Marfan (trouble in Chinese).
I've been preparing Sarah for the trip, and she says a list of people that we will go and see when we are there. Which is very cute, my parents will want to hug her as soon as she gets of the airplane but I am not so sure she will just go to them like that...but I guess they are used to it with Caroline's kids not really knowing them. Did I say that I will go home for a whole month?? well I am. Whats funny is my landlord told me that he will give me a 50% discount for the time I am not there...is that weird or what? It's wonderful but strange. Also the nanny says I don't have to pay her so I am really glad I am going for a whole month.
Ok I will try to write again soon, as well as catch up on emailing people and reading blogs..sorry.

3 comments:

Puffling said...

get assistance paula, you are not a fraud, sarah could sit on your lap in the wheelchair?? mum and dad are used to it, sky is still pretty funny with them when she first sees them,we are all just so exited to see you both,let me know if i can help atall.love you,louise.xxx

Lisa said...

Assistance! You bet!

Hoping you have a fabulous time!

The Accidental Mommy said...

That is so awesome your landlord is giving you a discount. I can't believe you will be gone a month, that seems so long.
I would ask for the wheelchair. You will have far more than enough to deal with Sarah for 24 hours in an airplane without having to worry about walking. When we flew with the girls I packed up bags of stuff for them to do and they didnt really want any of it or did the things for a few minutes then were done. Teena wanted to poke strangers and Genea wanted Daddy's attention.
So good luck and have fun, you better post some while you are away to keep us all updated!