Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Coin's shouldn't be eaten...

So i was reminded yesterday (from someone else's blog entry, who's kid was choking on some food) about Sarah's choking events and thought i'd write them down...not that i will forget them easily but you never know.
So the first time it happened she was in her high chair (strapped in with a tray in front of her)...She was with Tom and i was in the kitchen, he just gave her some Mango Bin shard (blended mango with ice) and she started to choke, tom screamed at me and i in a kind of slow mo reassured her as i was frantically trying to free her from the high chair (why they don't have a quick release i don't know!). So i tried to stay as calm as possible and was hitting her on the back, then folding her over my knee and waking her on the back and out flew a peice of ice...whew! it was so scary but in the back of my mind it will melt and thus come out....
A week later she decided to eat a 5nt coin...yes a coin (i still don't know where she got it from but still she ate it). She was playing and then i hear coughing (i was in the kitchen...i seem to be in there often!) i run out and ask her to say mummy to me, (i wanted to see if she was really choking or just coughing....maybe not the best idea) anyway she said "errhh...ummy" so i start to hit her on the back, this time my heart is really racing as i knew full well that it wasn't ice this time! oh my oh my i was so so scared, and praying over and over please let her be ok please!! I was waking her on the back but it wasn't working, i had to stop (for all of a milli second) and think what to do, so i bent her over and then waked her...out came a slimy 5 nt coin. oh my it was horrible. so frightening. I hugged her and hugged her and didn't want to put her down. It was impossible for me to tell her off at this point, i was just so happy she was ok. Why do kid's do that, it just freaks us out i tell you. I have to say that she hasn't choked since...and i pray she won't again. God was looking after her and keeping me calm enough to know what to do. Praise the Lord!

No comments: